Monday, May 24, 2010

What Do You Mean, "Astrology"?

At this point you're probably wondering:


What in the world are you talking about?


Well, let’s hope that’s not what you’re wondering. But there’s no harm in clarifying what I mean by “Astrology.” So here goes, a “definition” of what I mean, people mean, you mean, he mean:


Astrology is the practice of determining aspects of one’s life by interpreting the position(s) of 12 determined constellations at the moment of birth.


Each constellation has certain months where it is most prevalent. This is your “sun sign,” rather, your main zodiac sign—this is the general sign to determine horoscopes and basic information.


The natal charts I’ve been doing go past this and analyze the position of both the 12 main Astrologically-concerned constellations and the planets. Since these constellations and planets truly exist, the relative distance can be calculated (now often by computer technology, but back in the day by estimation) to determine the most “accurate” Astrological readings.


When people refer to Astrology, they are 100% referring to this assumed “science” (unless they have unfortunately confused the term with Astronomy…both deal with the stars, at least). Most people don’t refer to Astrology as a legitimate science but rather a topic of conversation and intrigue.



1 comment:

  1. I am kind of embarrassed to admit, but I did get confused Astrology with Astronomy. I took Astronomy at a community college, and when my friends asked me what class I was taking, I went "yeah, that one, Astrology for my science lab requirement." That'd be cool if I could take a Astrology lab...

    But Astrology may have been actually a science based on a lot of observations a long time ago. Similarly, I wonder if one of the current scientific disciplines become unscientific like Astronomy...no, Astrology did.

    ReplyDelete